Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sick Days

I am lucky to have a profession in which I get sick leave.  That, I believe, is one of the biggest draws of education to women who intend to have families.  My two-year old is home today with strep throat and bronchitis.  I still get paid for the day.  The unlucky drawback to sick leave is the lesson plan!!!

Yes, I realize that I should have emergancy plans stashed in my room so that any sub could come in and follow them.  I don't!  At 7:00am I was dragging my sick toddler to the copy machine to copy plans I wrote at 6:00am.  They were well written, lovely plans that would keep my students busy with valuable lessons learned.  Everything was laid out so that even the most inexperienced sub could follow them.  I left confident that the soon to arrive students would have a wonderful day.  Then I learned, after filling prescriptions for my son, that my school would close several hours early due to flooding!  All that time on sub plans...wasted!When Steinbeck wrote, "The best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry," he was talking about teachers!  Our plans so rarely go, well, as planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment